It’s that time of year again! It’s cold outside, the kids are going stir crazy, and you need something to do to switch up the quality indoor family time.
Here are some tried and true tips, tricks, and places to go in Omaha to beat the winter blues. Here are some places around town to take your kiddos for a fun day or night out to let out some of that pent-up energy.
Places to Go and Things to Do in Omaha with Kids This Winter
This is a place my children always love to go! There are a variety of activities, shows, and interactive ‘toys’ to keep them busy. One of my favorite rooms is the grocery center where kids can shop for food and play cashier. The museum also has exhibits on the top level of the building that are constantly changing. The greatest part about OCM is it’s full of learning experiences, too!
The zoo isn’t only for the warmer months. It can also be fun during the winter season too! Visit the buildings where you can stay cozy and warm while still seeing some awesome animals. You can catch a movie in the Lozier Theater, check out the monkeys in the Lied Jungle, or view some of the deserts most famous friends to name a few!
This is one of the newer attractions in Omaha that boasts a room full of wall-to-wall trampolines, a tube playground, a warrior course, rock climbing, and more. The smaller children will have a blast climbing through the tubes while the older kids complete the ropes course!
Sign your children up for class sessions at The Wonder Nook where they are able to CREATE! There are a variety of classes offered for many age groups. Whether your little wants to act as a chef or splash in some water, there are options for all.
Kids workshops provide a lively environment mixing skill-building, creativity, and safety for future DIYers. These classes are offered on select Saturdays at your local store with different projects for each class. And…it’s FREE!
If you have younger kiddos, this is the perfect place to visit. During open gym time, your children can jump on a trampoline, into a foam pit, run through the playground, or play on a variety of equipment. The gym also offers classes.
Need More Ideas?
Check out our Ultimate Indoor Play Area Guide! Depending on your age of kiddo or even type activity, you can find it here!
If the weather is too nasty or you just don’t feel like getting out of your home, here are some activities and things to do this winter to stay busy and entertained.
- Build a fort. If you don’t want to make a mess with pillows and blankets, Amazon has this awesome AirFort to play in. All you need is a box fan.
- Slide down your stairs in sleeping bags/pillow cases. If you’re brave!
- Little Tikes Inflatable Bounce House. Invest in this fun toy to burn off that energy!
- Stained Glass Window Art. Things you will need: Large piece of paper or cardboard, Colored cellophane (as many different colors as you like), Pencil, Scotch tape, Scissors, Stencils (optional)
- Spider Web made of masking tape. Take masking tape and make a web in a door frame. Crumple up newspaper and take turns throwing the balls into the web. Whoever gets the most to stick wins!
- Magic Milk. Things you will need: Bowl, Milk, Food Coloring, Q-Tips, Dish Soap
- Paint Snow. When it snows, put fresh snow in a baking dish and paint it with water colors!
- Fluffy Slime (Borax Free). Things you will need: Contact Lens Solution, Shaving Cream, Water, Elmer’s Glue, Food Coloring, Baking Soda
- Puffy Snowflakes. What you will need: Elmer’s Glue, Shaving Cream, Glitter, Snowflake Templates on Card-stock
- Science Experiments. Here are 50 kid-friendly science experiments that can be done with household items.